Join Our Team!
September 22, 2020
Operations Assistant Job Description
About the Foundation:
American Savings Foundation is a permanent charitable endowment which provides grants to local nonprofit organizations, in addition to college scholarships to area students. The Foundation is a broad-based funder dedicated to improving the quality of life for the residents in the community we serve. This is our lasting commitment.
American Savings Foundation is a private foundation based in New Britain, CT. The Operations Assistant is a newly created part-time position (3 days a week or 24 hours a week) is responsible for the efficient and effective office and administrative operation of the Foundation in alignment with its mission and values and with dedication to continuous operational improvement. This individual must learn and gain a full understanding of American Savings Foundation’s operations and finances.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for general ledger codes for each expense, balance sheet accounts, and invoice procedures, and will assist with the contract and budget processes.
- Will maintain the President & CEO’s calendar.
- Provide support to grant and scholarship staff as required.
- Management of accounts payable and reporting.
- Oversee the review of monthly financial statements.
- Assist with the reconciliation of the Foundation’s bank account and credit cards.
- Upload and monitor payments through bank’s positive pay and ACH blocking services.
- Track expenses against operating budgets, special project budgets, and contracts.
- Process invoices weekly and review financial statements for variances and exceptions monthly and quarterly, in conjunction with the President & CEO and the Foundations’ accounting firm.
- Support the board with scheduling, taking minutes, preparing board materials and mailings, and board meeting logistics.
- Proactively manage the Foundation’s vendor relationships.
- Assist team in the scholarship and grants programs, especially during peak application intake periods and scholarship payment process.
- Assist with event management and meeting logistics.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the Foundation’s IT provider.
- Manage Foundation communications using Constant Contact.
- Track and maintain licenses and subscriptions.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the manager.
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in accounting, operations, or related work.
- Experience in accounts payable/receivable, balance sheet reconciliation, budget tracking, journal entries, and reconciling bank accounts, including credit card transactions preferred.
- Basic analytical and problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Basic project-organization skills.
- Ability to achieve results with moderate supervision.
- Effective presentation skills. Excellent writing, spelling, grammar, and proofreading skills in English and strong verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Track record of building and maintaining productive relationships with multiple stakeholders and vendors.
- Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail and ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently, and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment, including working effectively with frequent interruptions and handling changing and unscheduled tasks with accuracy.
- A commitment to discretion, confidentiality, and integrity.
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices; demonstrated ability and interest in learning new accounting systems and assisting other staff with their use.
- Advanced Excel skills are required and will be tested in the job interview.
- Experience with Constant Contact preferred.
- Associate degree (or equivalent years of experience) required.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required, with a schedule to be determined with President & CEO.
- Flexibility to work both in the office and remotely during the current Covid-19 Phase 2 reopening.
- This position involves handling cash, credit cards, and sensitive member and financial data; therefore, a criminal background check is required upon offer to a final candidate.
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Prolonged use of computer, telephone, printer, and other technology.
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 20 pounds.
Position wages and benefits:
This a part-time, non-exempt position that is not eligible for benefits.
Pay Rate: $20.00/hour, for 24 hours per week (approximately three days).
Cover letter and resume may submitted to American Savings Foundation, 185 Main Street, NewBritain, CT 06051 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
American Savings Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Description Here